Wednesday, February 8, 2012

moments

I have a "wall words" writing above my bed, "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away". That quote is so true.

This week we had our breath taken away when a young teenage son of a friend of mine collapsed at baseball practice. This required CPR, intubation, and admission to UK peds ICU.

His breath was gone.

And ours got taken away when we heard the news.

A seemingly healthy, teenage boy, just playing some baseball. Something he's done for years.

Amazingly enough, he has pulled through. So many people have prayed for him, his family, and his friends that saw things happen.

Moments like this are reminders of how fortunate we are in this life. How we go on with our happy days as if nothing could ever happen.

But it can.

And it does.

So here's my question. What if there was a moment you lost your breath? Your FINAL breath. Are you ready? Do you know where you are going when you die? Granted, I have no desire to rush to my earthly ending. I have a family and wonderful children to raise. But, in the event, I know that this place is not my final home. I know one day, I'll be in heaven. I know without a doubt, I'll see my grandfather again. And maybe even have the chance to meet my dad's parents that died long before I was even born.

Today, live in the moments of now. The past is gone, the future is yet to come, but today is the present. It is a gift. Enjoy it as if it were your last. And make sure that if it is, you know where you're going.

And please continue to pray for this young man, named Ben. He is better and awakened about 24 hours after this all started. Today they were going to try to get him up. He has a long road of diagnostic tests and things still yet to endure, but he's alive. God has given him a second chance in life. I pray he does something wonderful with it.

What will you do with yours?

Blessings in this moment,
Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment