Monday, June 25, 2012

My dad.....just a little late

My dad....where do I begin. I mean really, he's the man that made me a woman, genetically speaking. Hahaha....

But in all seriousness, I am very grateful for the father I've had all my life. And although I was not a perfect child, and he wasn't the perfect father, we've managed to grow up well :) Although I look like my mom, I am very much my father.

I'm grateful for the man that knelt beside me to pray when my mom had my sister. I will never forget the hard wood floors.

For the man who made a tire swing in the back yard for my sister and I to play in as kids. I think that was the best swing EVER!!

For taking me camping and fishing all the time growing up. I will never forget those early mornings, sitting on the boat, and watching Gidget swim halfway across the lake to join us.

For "teaching" me to swim at Cooper's Lake. Otherwise known as, "I'm throwing you and good luck" hehehe..... and for holding me tightly the day those boys drowned. I, only now having children of my own, can imagine the pain those parents felt that day.

For driving the bus on many LONG trips and chaperoning our youth trips. What an example you set for all of the kids I grew up with.

For holding me ever so tightly when Chris broke my heart the very first time. As I sat crying in my room, listening to the tape play a certain song over and over, you came in and just held me. There was nothing you could do, but give me the love that only a father can.

For the time you walked me back to my room at Glorieta and had to stop half way to throw up. It was so not fair for me to have to choose one parent to take with me in to town. I really wanted both of you to go with me because I was so scared.

For walking me down the aisle, not once, but twice. I had hoped the first would always be the last, but even when it didn't work that way, you supported me.....in more ways than one.

For being there when my kids were born. There is nothing like bringing a child in to this world and having my parents to see them from the very beginning.

Dad, I know I don't always say it nearly enough, but I love you. Just know that I can't imagine what life I would have had if you hadn't been my dad.

Happy (belated) Father's Day

Love you much,
Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment